12 November 2012

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservations. -Elton Trueblood


Maybe we are born with it. The need to know all the answers to our questions. At the ripe old age of three we are taught to write our name. There's a right way to write it, and there's a wrong way to write it. Then we make our way from preschool to kindergarten. We learn how to spell.

Book.
Fly.
Blue.

Do you remember the third grade spelling bee?
My conclusion is we are just trained at a really young age to need the answers.

I like to know the answers. And if I'm wrong, I like to know why I'm wrong. And because I'm wrong, I like to know what the right answer is. And when there are questions in life I don't have the answers to, I don't know what to do with myself. When there are questions in life I will never get the answers to, I really don't know what to do with myself. Why does toast always fall buttered-side down? I don't know. When you go shopping, why does the check-out lane you choose always take longer? I don't know. Why did this person do this to me? Why is this thing happening right now? Why is it happening to me instead of someone else? I seriously just do not know. I do know that's where hope comes in. I do know that's where faith comes in. And sometimes at the end of the day, that's really all we have left. A very small flicker of hope. A very small seed of faith.  

Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him? 1 Nephi 7:12

We will never know all the answers in this life, but at the end of all of it, we will look back and smile. It will all make sense. Every doubt? Forgotten. Every question? Answered. And we will thank our Heavenly Father and Savior for knowing all the answers that we just simply couldn't figure out ourselves.

At the end of the day when faith is all I have left, I know I have an eternal Father who loves me. I know I am His daughter. I know my Heavenly Father has a perfect Son. I know the Son of God is my Savior. I know my Savior loves me despite my weaknesses. I know He died for me so I can be forgiven of those weaknesses. I know my Heavenly Father and Savior have a perfect plan prepared for me. And I know I am being watched over. 

Sometimes I have to catch my breath when I think of the goodness of our Heavenly Father and Savior. There is hope because of this gospel. There is faith because of this gospel. There is happiness and joy to be had because of this gospel. I won't ever have all the answers. But I do have the answers to the most important questions. And those answers? Well they make all the other answers don't really matter all that much anyway.