10 April 2013

Hope on. Journey on. -Elder Holland


It's always sad when my favorite weekend of the year comes to an end. After the second session of General Conference on Sunday, I knew I should have felt totally spiritually fed - and I definitely did - but I felt like I was just getting started! If there was some way to have General Conference 1,203,985 times a year I'd be down. 

I'm hesitant to favorite just one talk from conference, but surprise surprise Elder Holland owned it. I was telling my Dad that Elder Holland could give the worst talk in the history of ever, and it would still be my favorite.

Faith is one of the most fundamental parts of our gospel. It is what every other part of the gospel is built on. It's such a simple concept, and yet so complicated to understand, and seemingly impossible at times to master. Elder Holland says, "In moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited... When those moments come and issues surface, the resolution of which is not immediately forthcoming, hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes." 

I admit, I have some very weak moments. When the world hurts you, when loved ones wound you, when your circumstances confuse you, and when Satan discourages you, it is hard not to doubt, and it can be hard to hold onto your faith. 

There are days I question my future. There are days I question my past. There are days I question past decisions. There are days I question the wickedness of our world. I question how people willfully and knowingly inflict so much pain perfectly aware of their doing so and perfectly unaffected. There are days - I admit - I question the goodness of humanity. There are days I question why honesty is no longer an important attribute. There are days I question why kindness is no longer a particularly admirable quality. Yes I have a million questions, and they are questions that do me no good. 

The majority of lifes questions we will not receive the answers to. The answers to these questions are only known to a perfect Father in heaven and His perfect Son. What lies ahead of me? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why are our burdens so heavy? To all of these questions and to all of the rest, lay them at Gods feet.

Live righteously. 
Live honestly. 
Live with integrity. 
Live with character. 
Live with an eternal perspective, 
and above all,
live with faith.

The Lord knows our questions, 
but most importantly He knows the answers. 
He knows us. He knows the truth. 
He knows our hearts. Hold onto Him.
 Let him guide you. Let Him protect you. 
Let His love keep you going.

"...First and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that believe." -Elder Holland