18 October 2013

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light that shines on me... Shine on until tomorrow, let it be... The Beatles


When can be an unhelpful, distracting and stubborn word.

When: defined in the dictionary
"at the time that..."
"as soon as..."
"during the time at which..."

I don't mean to imply when is a useless word. At times it can be an efficient word. It can give structure and meaning to a sentence, sometimes the very glue that holds that sentence together. When used in a proper and helpful context, it's a wonderful word. When the word is used to distract, excuse and procrastinate, it's an unfortunate word.
You know what word I like better?
Be. 
With the word be,
there are zero hidden agendas.
There is no unknown timetable.
There are no uncertainties or ifs, ands or buts.
Being can hold so much power,
and not just being,
but peacefully being.

When are we going to take that vacation we've been talking about?
When will I be happy?
When will I find fulfillment?

- AND EVEN WORSE -
I will find purpose in my life when some type of circumstantial shift takes place.

William E. Gladstone said this,
"Be happy with what you have and are, 
be generous with both, 
and you won't have to hunt for happiness."

Have, are, 
Having, being, 
Present-tense, 
Now.

Don't wait for tomorrow. Don't wait to be happy until you've landed that perfect job, or found your long-lost soul mate, or successfully shed those ridiculous 15 pounds. As Gladstone says, "be happy with what you have and are," and may I add that who I am and what I have is centered in my Heavenly Father, my Savior, and an unwavering testimony of this gospel. Happiness is at your fingertips, and it is yours for the taking.

When? 
Don't give that four letter word 
so much of your power. 
Slow down!
Be happy now. 
Discover your fulfillment today. 

There is nothing stopping you.