07 October 2013

If you had let me settle for something less I would not have seen, that You had better promises for me. -Hilary Weeks, Better Promises



Two years ago today I knelt across an altar in the House of The Lord and was married. If someone had told me on my wedding day that in two years time, this person would leave and be re-married, I never would have believed them.

There is an often quoted poem by Robert Frost, whom I absolutely adore, called The Road Not Taken.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Some could say my life's plan took a face-plant in an unexpected ditch along the way. Some could say "that's not how it was supposed to turn out." And all I could say to them, is how terribly wrong they are. I believe this is exactly the way it was supposed to turn out. 

The Lord hand-crafts our trials to teach us exactly what we need to learn. I don't think the Lord intends people to get divorced, but He allows it, and if He knows it's going to be the best thing in the world for them, He's going to let it run it's course. 

There are days I feel like I took that road less traveled by. Unlike the person in the poem, I didn't really see the other road when I chose this one. My road ended up an unexpected one, with a ridiculously large ditch that I didn't see coming, but I took it. And I walked it. And I'm here. And I'm grateful. I'm so unbelievably grateful for each and every stumbling block along the way. It has been a rocky road but a beautiful road, more beautiful than I ever could have dreamed, and the best part is I didn't walk it alone. I had a constant and forever walking companion, who is my Savior Jesus Christ. He watched me face-plant. He carefully watched me crawl out of that ditch broken and bruised, in despair but certainly not defeated, and He took my hand and squeezed it tight and He never let go.

I have come to learn one thing, and that one thing is this: regardless of the road the Lord allows you to take, whether that road is what you expected or what you did not, if you are walking it with your Father in Heaven and His Son, you are and you will always be on the right road. 

Have faith. Your Father in Heaven and His Son know you perfectly. You have come this far. They  have got you. They are always an arms-length away. They will never mislead you.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.