24 November 2013

Because Some Things Are Worth Waiting For.


via

Past statistics have shown that in the U.S. 50% of first marriages, 67% of second marriages, and 73% of third marriages end in divorce. First of all, uhh, can you say depressing?

From the age of sixteen, and up until the point I was married, there was never a substantial amount of time I wasn't dating someone. The past 16 months have really been me, myself and the Lord, for the first time in my life! Relationships are funny. They can teach you who you are and make you forget who you are all at the same time. How does that happen?

The thing that scares me the most, is seeing people so quickly jump into a second relationship, to say nothing of a second marriage. I think loneliness gets the best of people, rebounds sound enticing, and moving on from an experience somehow equates to moving on to someone else... What??? Maybe I'm crazy, but I would think the second time around you would want to be super careful. Get to know yourself a little better. Get to know your Father in heaven better. Breathe for a little while, and take care of yourself. I can't help but think people kind of miss that step - and ultimately, another whopping 17% end up in the same boat they were before. Now, I am aware I am clearly not equipped to explain why marriages don't usually work, but I can't help but think that has something to do with it.

I understand that marriage is a very important part of life. I understand one of the core concepts of my religion is eternal families. But I don't think it's right, that young people feel so entirely pressured to begin that part of life. A young man emailed me last week after reading my article, and said, thank you for helping me realize that my relationship status isn't the source of my validation as a human being. That makes me sad. And I don't think anyone under any circumstance should feel that way.

So many people want to get married, but that can be the very core of the problem. They want to get married. The right person, the right place, and the right time is just an after-thought because hey! I want to get married. Let me tell you, forever is a very long time to just "be married," and far too long to be married to the wrong person.

I can't sufficiently express how beautiful I believe marriage is, and the importance of it, but I also cannot sufficiently express to those who are not married that you are no less a person, and your life, as Kristen M. Oaks would say, is no less a life. It's worth it to wait. It's worth it to get it right. It's worth it to find the person who is going to lead your family in righteousness, and be a worthy example to your children. It's worth it to wait for The Lord to do His work. It's worth it to wait for God's plan - not yours. It is worth the wait. Trust me. Trust your Heavenly Father. It is worth the wait.

I'm grateful for my Father in heaven. I am grateful for His plan for me. I am so grateful we have a Father Who loves us enough, to perfectly and carefully plan and design each of our lives merely for our benefit. He has prepared a path. And I testify that path, however long it takes to get there, is a path worth waiting for.