21 December 2013

"Our joy at this season is because He came into the world. The peace that comes from Him, His infinite love which each of us may feel, and an overwhelming sense of gratitude for that which He freely gave us at so great a cost to Himself - these are of the true essence of Christmas." -Gordon B. Hinckley




You know those beautiful moments that we all so desperately need, when God kindly but so perfectly puts us in our place?

Today at work, a beautiful woman walked in. We made small talk, briefly talking about Christmas shopping and the snow, (yuck!) She said to me, you know, I'm just feeling very grateful this Christmas. My 24 year old son is on life support in the hospital. The doctor called us on Wednesday and told our family to come in and say our goodbyes - but he's doing much better now. He is my Christmas miracle!

Out of the two of us, it definitely would have made more sense if she was the one who started crying, but it was me. I asked her if I could hug her, because I honestly just wanted to squeeze the daylights out of her. Her radiance and faith is exactly what I needed to witness this Christmas season, and her goodness stayed with me all day. God knows when we need to be shaken a little bit... reminded of what this is all about. All I can say is I am forever and eternally grateful for my Father in heaven and for His children here on earth, who so constantly reflect the goodness of Him, His beloved Son, and Their plan for us. 

Little did this woman know that as she told me about her Christmas miracle, 
she quickly became mine.