06 February 2014

“The chief beauty about time is that you cannot waste it in advance. The next year, the next day, the next hour are lying ready for you, as perfect, as unspoiled, as if you had never wasted or misapplied a single moment in all your life. You can turn over a new leaf every hour if you choose.” -Arnold Bennett

Remember when you were young?
Remember when your mom asked what you wanted to be?
What a magical question that was!
My little six-year-old self couldn't even imagine!
So many things would be possible as soon as I grew up.

When I was 8 I wanted to shave my legs,
so 12 seemed much too far away.

When I was 12 I wanted to be 16,
because if I was 16 I could drive myself to the mall.

When I was 16 I wanted to be an adult,
because if I was an adult I would be taken more seriously.

When I was 20 I wanted to get married,
because that was the next step.

When I got married I wanted to be a mother,
because being a mother is the most important title women can hold.

When I got divorced I wanted to fast forward a year.
I wanted the pain to be over.
I wanted to skip to the good stuff. 

And here we are. It's been a year. And out of all the lessons I have learned, one of the most important is this: stop rushing. The time you are waiting for - it will come. Without fail it always comes. The hard times? They end. The age you so desperately want to get to? The goals you so desperately want to accomplish? You will get there. It is the small miraculous moments, the intimate details of our lives, that we shouldn't spend wishing away. That stranger's smile today? That sunset I saw last night? It wasn't a big moment. It wasn't expected, or written on the calendar. It was only a small, insignifcant moment in time.

Twelve will come.
Sixteen will come.
And one day, a day far, far away,
we will wonder where all the time went.

The time will pass.
It always does.

Enjoy each moment, whatever that moment may hold.
I promise, the big moments will come...
one small moment at a time.