27 March 2014

I miss you, Grandpa.




Two years ago today, my grandpa Christensen passed away. As my dad said to me last night, sometimes that day feels like forever ago, and sometimes it feels like yesterday. 

My grandpa passed away a few months before my divorce process began. I can't express how many times I wish I could have talked to him about all of it... or how many times I wish I could have seen that perfect, untainted look of love in his eyes... that look I so often see in my dad's eyes. As Elder Holland said to our family, one of the last days my grandpa spent in the hospital, "I always wanted to be like Harold Christensen." If that doesn't convey what kind of man my grandpa was, I don't know what else could.

I believe in angels. I know that Heavenly Father allows loved ones on the other side of the veil to watch over us, protect us, and guide us. There has been one specific spirit I have felt with me more than any other the past two years - and that is my Grandpa. He has loved me through the hardest times, and I have felt that love so specifically. There are times in the temple that he truly is so close, and it is a feeling that is absolutely irreplaceable... inexplainable. A feeling I will forever be grateful that I have experienced.

I am so thankful for the gospel and the plan of salvation. I am so thankful to know, that if I live worthily, if I live a quarter of the life my grandpa lived, I will see him again and be with him forever. I miss you terribly grandpa, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart, for holding my hand each and every day these past two years. I love you so much, and I am so grateful for the life and legacy you left us. 

I am honored to be your granddaughter, 
and I am so proud to call you grandpa.