25 March 2014

Mormon Women & The Priesthood

My thoughts are not your thoughts, 
neither are your ways My ways -Isaiah 55:8

"...with time and eternal perspective we will see things 
“as they really are...” 
 -Elder Andersen





It has taken me a while to put together this post, mostly because I wanted to sit on it and really take time to understand and consider each point of view. I have nothing new to add to the already well-written posts on Mormon women and the priesthood, but I thought I would share my thoughts anyway.

I've spent a significant amount of time on Ordain Women's website. I have read through comments and I have read things elsewhere from women who believe Mormon women of the church should be ordained, and in all fairness these women make some very valid points. I have tried to creep into their minds as much as possible, and I feel that for the most part I can understand their thinking. In so doing what I have come to decide is this: people in the church are very different. Members of the church are still members of the church, even when their opinions differ. People in the church, who have different ideas are not automatically dubbed evil. My conclusion: we are all children of God and we are all figuring out this mortality thing together. 

Now, with that all of that being said, I am perfectly satisfied with the church and its doctrines. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is precisely that: the church of Jesus Christ. If doctrines change, or if delegated priesthood authority will change: Jesus Christ will be The One to do so, and He will give the leaders of this church revelation in His time and in His own way. 

The fact is this: women at this point in time do not hold the priesthood. The fact is this: the church is still true. The fact is this: a group of women will not be notified before President Thomas S. Monson if fundamental doctrines change. The fact is this: the efforts being made to "equalize" members in the church by ordaining women with the priesthood is in actuality dividing members in the church. How can that be right?

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and I know it is being run on earth by men called and chosen of God. I know that if changes are made in the church, the prophet of our church will be the one to convey to us those changes. I know that women are inherently special, and I know that women who want the priesthood are equally inherently special, and can offer just as much to this church as any man, even without that same specific authority. I know the church and its doctrines don't always make sense, and yet I know that God is at the head of it, guiding us every step of the way. I also know that all that is good comes from God, and contention, dividing, rallying and protesting is not good, and it is certainly not what Jesus Christ wants for His church. I know our Father in heaven and our Savior love us infinitely and perfectly, regardless of what we believe and our differing opinions.  I know that we are each commanded to love others the same way. May we be humble enough to do so, and remain perfectly faithful even when we can't clearly see.