05 June 2015

A Christian Perspective Of Bruce Jenner?

This is definitely not something I would ever dream of blogging about... and I feel kind of silly doing it, but I feel like everywhere I turn someone is saying something about Bruce Caitlyn Jenner... and frankly, I have an opinion. 

As a Mormon I believe certain things. The first thing that should be noted, is I believe that our gender is an eternal characteristic which was given to us long before this life. I do not believe that a perfect God made mistakes when creating us... and I believe that an all-knowing God created us the way He hoped we would stay.

With that being said, I understand there are hundreds of thousands of plagues we suffer from while living in mortality; many of these mental. Experience is a powerful thing. Experience changes us. And frankly when we don't understand something... when we don't fully understand the feelings and emotions another person is going through, we ought to be a lot less quick to speak up.

I can't pretend to know what others are feeling. I can't pretend to know the pain they are experiencing... which brings me to my second point. 

"While one portion of the human race is judging and condemning the other without mercy, the Great Parent of the universe looks upon the whole of the human family with a fatherly care and paternal regard; He holds the reins of judgement in His hands..."
-The prophet Joseph Smith

Coincidentally, a couple of nights ago I was reading D&C chapter 19 verse 10-11:

For behold, the mystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am endless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless punishment, for Endless is my name. 

Wherefore- Eternal punishment is God's punishment.

Where's the balance in all of this? I believe that gender is a God-given gift... yet I want to be like my Savior who loved us all perfectly.

I can't control what people do. I can't control the decisions they make. I can't control the opinions and mindsets of the world, but I can control myself. 

And with that control, I choose to love more, judge less, and trust that God will take it from here.