01 January 2017

Easy Isn't Best

I initially considered 2016 to be the best year of my life, but when I started thinking about why it would be the best year of my life, the more I realized it really hasn't been. It's been one of the easier years of my life. And being the best and being easy are two very different things.

I then started reflecting on 2015. Then 2014, 2013, and 2012. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that ultimately, the best years of my life have been the hardest. And then I thought that makes no sense. The last thing I want to do is re-live those years, but had those years not happened 2016 wouldn't have been what it was. And the reason why the hardest years were the best years, was because I grew. I became better. I walked out of the year entirely different than I walked into it. And trials do that to us. 

Trials force change. 

When circumstances change we either choose to change along with them, or we don't.
And I chose to change.
And I'm so much better for it. 

In 2016 I learned so much. I continued my education. I realized the importance of family and I discovered how to embrace the not-so-pretty parts of me. I saw qualities within myself I wanted to improve, and I chose to take the initiative and do just that. My husband and I had an incredible second year of marriage, and both learned how to much more effectively help and communicate one with another. In fact I learned to more fully trust my husband, and I think I have finally gotten to a point where I actually believe him when he says he'll never leave me.

So much growth and progress happened, but I can't help looking back fondly on the years that so completely and entirely broke me - which in turn so perfectly and thoroughly restored me.

I am so grateful for a God that knew His children needed opposition to truly appreciate the good and the easier times in life. I couldn't be more grateful for 2016, but more than that I couldn't be more grateful for all of the years that led up to it.

Here's to hoping 2017 is a year of change, progression, and growth.